The Belmont cards have been tough all week. Today is no exception.
Path to Power – has one start where he showed a little early interest. Puts the blinkers on today. Is he a heartless front runner or just a horse that needs some focus? If he goes off at odds it is worth paying to find out. DRF says Lisa Lewis 0 for 5 with blinkers on but she won with Saratoga Heater in August with that move.
- 2 It’s Easy – That’s not true whether you are running or playing, but I’ve been liking the Abby Adsit angle lately and given the horse has had a good rest and a nice series of comeback works, she deserves a chance.
- 8 Bella Fachi – has had two golden chances to win and has flopped both times. Perhaps third time is a charm.
- 1 Saratoga Heater – won his last on a sloppy track in a respectable if not flashy time. More closer than presser. Rosario back from PA to ride.
- 2 Banana Thief – broke his maiden in his third try at 5 1/2 on the turf in SAR. Probably better bred for the turf, and this is his first fast dirt try. Minor awards at best.
- 3 Market Conduct – Chad Brown trainee popped first out at SAR in a middling time. We’ll see today just how much talent he has.
- 4 Tizquick – will be the choice. Got beat first out by the well-regarded Upstart, who simply overpowered the field in the stretch. Tizquick still ran with great courage and I like his chances today despite the fact this will be his maiden win.
- 5 Bullheaded Boy – ran third to the previously mentioned Upstart. He obviously has chances as his 9-5 ML indicates, but you certainly can’t say he is lengths better than the field – yet.
- 6 Chloe’s Wonderboy – $25K maiden claiming winner jumps up today. High percentage mid-Atlantic trainer ships in. Can’t totally dismiss, but I think other starters are more likely.
- 3 Make a Fortune – hard knocking 6 year old has already won for Chris Englehart off the claim. Didn’t care for the PID surface last out and is 3 of 4 on the BEL dirt.
1ABe Bullish/Glickman – Be Bullish’s better days are probably behind him but he could still be dangerous. Glickman wired a field first off the claim for Jacobson and looks to repeat. I think this is a positive drop – the horse obviously has had some physical issues in his career having been off close to two years before his first 2014 start – and I don’t think Jacobson cares if he loses him for a few dollars less than he paid.
- 8 Deadicated Deal – claimed off a win at $20K by Imperio. Another that can drop for a win.
- 1 Temper Mint Patty – Competitive figure and wouldn’t surprise, but I’m looking elsewhere.
- 2 Hard to Stay Notgo – Destroyed a field first out and finished second to Myfourchix in the Seeking the Ante. Looks second best again.
- 3 Evrybdymstgetstonz – SCR
- 4 Freudie Anne – Ran a strong turf race opening week and wouldn’t be any surprise here on the dirt.
- 5 Majestic Blook – SCR
- 6 My Super Nova – a neck behind Temper Mint Patty despite being 2 lengths clear in the stretch. Perhaps she holds her speed better this time, and young horses do improve from race to race. Would have to be odds for me to get excited.
- 7 Myfourchix – Winner of the Seeking the Ante. Looks like the longer they go, the better she’ll like it. Looks best to me.
This race is now off the turf and MTO 13 Better Man is in. He doesn’t look overpowering in here, but you always have to give the MTO’s a second look. The selections in this race were for the turf, but I’m not going to adjust them. By this race you’ll know how the track is playing and you can bet accordingly.
- 7 Giant Slayer – Clement trainee dropped to MCL last out and made an improved run. In the right spot today.
- 12 Morse – has shown speed and not a lot of heart at longer distances. Sprinting could be his thing.
- 4 Bolt From the Blue – ran right behind Giant Slayer and may do it again.
- 11 Jimmy Soul – developing seconditis but can still grab a piece.
- 5 G Note – drops in distance off a 3 month layoff. We’ll give her the nod fresh.
- 1 Aesthetique – has looked competitive with this sort. I think 7F could be the right distance.
- 8 Nonnie Connie – lots of starts, two wins and reasonable chances to finish in the money.
- 9 All Mine Tonight – just missed last out. Been in these conditions a while.
- 6 Back Stop – Chad Brown and first timer. Enough about that.
- 8 Arctic Ocean – tried hard after going wide on a muddy track. Jumps up to straight maidens and is not without chances.
- 3 Co – steadied early in her last and lost all chance. Gets another chance today
- 4 Jacaranda – working well for Mike Husion
- 9 Tizthefastlaine – Albertrani lately has been putting live firsters on the track. Can use in the exotics.
- 6 Street Game – three lengths behind the well regarded King Kressa in the West Point at a very big number. I think Nevin has kept the horse sharp.
- 1 Sanctify – has not run a bad race this year and no reason why he might start now.
- 8 Carson Bandit – has some speed and will use it. Longshot that could get buried or skip away
- 4 Majestic Raffy – Softer ground shouldn’t hurt. Just missed behind Sanctify in last.
- 8 Given Fire – didn’t quite handle the 7F last time she was at the distance, but does have good speed. Not unreasonable in this field.
- 1 Rumble Doll – decided plodder needs the right trip. Should save ground and depends on Maragh to keep her clear for a the stretch one.
- 9 Thatza Wrap – Pressing style; only six starts and eligible to improve
- 3 The Spotted Wonder – tried this level last out and missed just over a length. Should be controlling the pace and at long odds is worth a look
- 1 Permanent Campaign – drops the the level at which he broke his maiden. Figures say he has a big shot.
- 9 Toy Cannon – only lost by a half length last time he was in for $40K. Starting to look like a professional NW2L though.